Tuesday, June 1, 2010

My first 10K

N & J eating watermelon, waiting for me to cross the finish line
My dear friend, Kristin, came down to cheer me on. I saw her at the half-way point in my run and at the finish line. It meant a lot to me that she'd come and support me.
Me, after the race, with the family. It was nice to have them there. The boys had fun digging around in the dirt looking for bugs while they waited.
Here I am crossing the finish line ... finally!! You can see G in the background taking my picture. It was so nice to have him there encouraging me along the way, especially while I was about to take on another hill!
I DID IT!!!!
I'm coming around the bend here. This is at the half-way point (3.1 miles)
The trails were really nice, however, there were random people from the city taking their dogs on walks, kids in strollers, people on roller blades etc., that kind of got in the way here and there. They were nice, but I often had to loudly say, "Coming through!"
When N and I arrived, we saw some Elders! They are currently serving in Rocklin. We HAD to get a picture of them with N. I LOVED how they still wore their white shirts, ties and name tags. Way to go!
And, here I am before the race. [I cannot rearrange my pictures anymore on my blog! I don't know why, and it's frustrating!] So, I wanted to push myself a bit further than a 5K. So I ramped up my running a bit in the last while. I did not anticipate the hills on this course, which kicked my behind! I loved how this was NOT crowded at all. Just perfect. N came with me early to get settled and warmed-up. G came with his dad and the boys right before the race started. It was wonderful having the support there for me. It meant a lot. As I mentioned above, my friend Kristin came, too. I was really hoping to finish in 60 minutes, but the hills did me in and I finished in 67 minutes. Not too bad for my first 10K, with hills, too! I actually finished in the top half in my age category! =)

4 comments:

Raimi said...

Way to go on your 10K...that is awesome! Keep up the good work!

Sylvia said...

Congratulations! What a great accomplishment. Randy might do the Salt Lake Marathon next April again if you want to join him.

Laurie, the girls and Scott said...

GREAT JOB! Congratulations. Next you can sign up for the 1/2 marathon in November. :)

The Fairbanks Clan said...

Way to go! I hope to get to a 10k someday, right now 4 kicks my butt!