Friday, January 23, 2009

Some Random Stuff

My blog has been a little neglected lately. It's just been really busy around our house!! I know I'm not alone on this. Anyway, I wanted to share a couple of pictures I took right after church a few weeks ago. The boys got new Primary teachers. T just LOVES his teacher (wink, Holly!) and has now been excited to go to church. The last few months have been challenging for him because he hasn't had a consistent teacher. He would cry when he figured out it was Sunday and time for church. Not the case anymore and I couldn't be more grateful.


*Other highlights:

*The other day, as we were driving as a family down the Scout Store (where we spent $170!!! -- Uggh), B shared his thoughts with us ... a very common occurrence. He said he wondered how even more amazing much piano music would be if we had 8 fingers on each hand! We could easily play an octave.

* J has been so excited for Cub Scouts. He has almost finished his Bobcat Trail. His room has been a little messy, however, his uniform has been lovingly hung up in his closet.

*One thing I've been enjoying the past couple of months is Facebook. I've been pleasantly surprised at how great it is. I've been able to reconnect with many, many friends, past and present. Lots of cousins and family, too. If you aren't already signed up, you should really consider it.

*I've decided to share another family favorite recipe. I surprised the family last Sunday and made a couple of batches. I made both regular and mini-muffin sized ones, and they didn't last long at all.

Oatmeal Buttermilk Muffins

1 cup rolled oats
1 cup buttermilk

1 tsp baking powder
½ cup butter

½ tsp baking soda
½ cup dark brown sugar pinch of salt
1 egg

¼ cup raisins
1 cup flour


*If buttermilk is not available, add 1 tsp of lemon juice or vinegar to 1 cup of milk. Let the mixture stand a few minutes to curdle before adding to it to the oats.


In a bowl, combine the oats & buttermilk and allow to soak for 1 hour. Grease 12 muffin pans, or use paper lines. Preheat oven to 400*. With mixer, cream the butter & sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda & salt. Stir into butter mixture, alternating with the oat mixture. Fold in the raisins. Fill the muffin pans 2/3 full. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Makes 12.

*It seems to be fine when we don’t soak the oats. Also, wheat flour is a great substitute in this recipe. Also, my family likes this recipe w/o the raisins.

*I'm looking forward to our Friday Family Movie Night. Don't know what we're watching yet, but it's great family time.

Have a great weekend =)

2 comments:

Debie said...

Your blog (and mine) has been neglected because we are TOTALLY addicted to FB.

The only way I could play the piano is if I had 8 fingers and math skills.

You can tell what is important to your kids. My boys room is totally messy but J.'s MMA uniform, Judo Gi and Belt get put away EVERY DAY!

Thanks for the recipe. We'll have to try it.
You are a spectacular mommy! Your making me look bad. :0)

Lisa said...

We love Holli too!!

Yes, i like facebook too. I've found missionary companions and high school friends. It's addicting.