Thursday, September 25, 2008

Motherhood & Hot Potatoes ...


Does anyone else feel like they are left holding the "hot potato" in the mornings after most of the family has left for work or school? This particular potato is the huge mess left behind when the dust settles: breakfast dishes, pj's, school papers, blankets, dirty-balled-up-smelly socks, ... the list goes on. I just LOVE finding underwear that has been tossed onto the back of the couch. Nice touch, eh?! I'm not saying that I don't feel appreciated. What I AM saying is that there are lots of days filled with digging out the house. Saturday chores have not been going as well due to the 2 soccer games each Saturday. My husband DOES tell me that he appreciates all that I do, and I am so grateful for that. My boys DO say 'thank you" when I am magically able to produce some clean socks for them. This thing called 'Motherhood' is tough, and it absolutely wears me out, but it comes with the best rewards. I lifted these quotes from my friend's blog (I LOVE quotes) : "Being a full time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs ... since the payment is pure love" & "God could not be everywhere and therefore He made mothers." Despite the pile of dishes, the trail of laundry, and messed-up beds, I'm glad my boys know that HOME is a safe place where they KNOW they are loved no matter what. Home should always be a soft place to fall (just kick the toys out of the way). I like knowing that my boys can really exhale when they come home and just be at peace. A quote from Jaynann Payne: "There isn't any other career that will raise you to such dizzying heights as that of motherhood." I agree. It can be quite dizzying: in the craziness of life and that of dizzying joy. The loves, hugs, kisses, smiles make it all worth it in my book ... I just need naps!

4 comments:

Allison said...

Ahh.....naps (sigh)! What I wouldn't give for a good nap! Even though I keep telling C, and make him repeat it back to me, to not wake me up unless the house is on fire or someone is at the door, I do find myself being woken by loving brotherly fights, appeals for snacks, panicked voices saying they need to use the potty, the list goes on. I think you get the idea. I'm looking forward to when MK is a year old and I can get some REAL sleep. (but I still love this infant stage....I just need a nap. It all comes full circle, doesn't it?)

Laundry said...

hahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahah hot potatoes.. .that's a good one. i'm giggling pretty hard now.. wow..i'm really tired.. hahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahaha

Sylvia said...

Thanks for the reminder that I am not the only one going through the difficult job of motherhood and for the great quotes. Motherhood is definately the most wonderful job but it sure is a lot of work. I wouldn't trade it for anything though.

Raimi said...

You know I am right there with you! It is a job that never really ends! I am trying to remember to take the bad days along with the good & find the postivie in each one! Just know... you are so not alone!