Saturday, August 30, 2008

Walking School Bus & the 50-mile Bike Ride

On Friday morning, the elementary school organized several "walking school buses". There were 4 or 5 different routes, and various stops along the way to school. This was a fun way to get most of the students to walk to school. They did it last year and it was a huge success. T wanted to go with his brothers to the "bus stop". He would have followed them to school if I didn't tug on his bike! He wasn't too happy about that.
Okay, I know I'm a little paranoid about too much personal information here. But YOU have some weirdo stalk you for several years and I think you will see some things differently, too.
B & J joined up with the crowd. It was cool to see just how many people walked to school! It was huge!! I would say that close to 90% of the school walked.

Then ....

This morning, very reluctantly, N left for the final bike ride for the bicycling merit badge; a 50 miler! He was very nervous, and I actually didn't blame him.
Here he leaves to meet the troop @ the Scoutmaster's home a few blocks away. G rode down with him. They had to be there by 7am. They had a pizza lunch at the half-way point. He made it home by 3pm. He said that the very end was really hard because he was so tired. N and I took a dip in the pool soon after he got home. We're so proud of him for finishing this difficult merit badge. He didn't quit, even though he struggled a little. He will certainly wear this merit badge as a 'badge of honor'!

5 comments:

Laundry said...

they need to do that here, well they have, it's a walk your child to school day. it's not the same though.
and I have THREE weirdo stalkers! though two of them aren't that bad anymore. The one though... He scares me. He drives my my house everyday at least six times, and I've had to quit talking to one of my best friends because he would end up hearing EVERYTHING! and it's just a huge mess. that would explain the whole laundry thing, that whole weird web site name, the fake name on facebook, and several other things.. Did i mention that he gets a job to the closest place he can to wherever i happen to be working at?? it's very creepy. On the bright side though, from what I have heard from jello, my stalker isn't that bad. hahahaha sorry aunt steph!

Raimi said...

Yeah for N! 50 miles is quite an accomplishment, especially in this heat. Way to go N!

JanEtta said...

Congrats N on your 50 miler! Your uncle V is very impressed - especially for someone your age.

Allison said...

Ah, Good ol' Max. (sigh) I don't think you're paranoid at all....just being smart.

Amy said...

Good for him!! Congrats N, I think that is really impressive. You have a good reason to be proud, I don't know if I could do that!