Thursday, February 14, 2008

Valentines and Rice Bags

J found an immediate use for his "Rice Bag"

T picked some fabric with fish on it for his rice bag. He LOVES using one of my bags for his feet for naps.


J is scooping the rice into his rice bag. Grandma Marie put the boys to work for their bags. J even got to push a few buttons on the sewing machine to help. In case you haven't seen these, you can heat these up in the microwave for a couple of minutes and then use them as a heating source. I usually put them on my feet! I loved the one I've had so much that it was worn out. So Grandma took T on a fabric shopping adventure this morning. It's been reported to me that he was a "great" helper. Grandma (or "Hama" as T calls her) fixed my two existing bags, and made one for each of the boys. Hama also helped me with mending a few stray things. Thanks, Hama!!

Here's J's loot from school today. He got a lot of pencils! He also came home with 2 cupcakes that he decorated in class. They were pretty smashed up by the time he got home, but he didn't complain. He just enjoyed them anyway ... while licking his fingers.

B came home with a lot of Valentine's goodies. He left it on the couch and T claimed some of the candy. Oh, well! We moved his loot to where T couldn't reach it. He had a great Valentine's Day party in his class today, too. N was a little disappointed today because he only got 1 candy @ school today. Middle school is very different in so many ways. No parties for the middle-schoolers. He did, however, have time to make a really nice Valentine for Hama. That was very thoughtful of him.

7 comments:

Brad and Julianne Heaps said...

What type of fabric do you use and how much rice -- I think one of those would really help out my aching back! Did you surge around the edges or just use lots of good reinforced seams? What a fun treat for your kids -- I can think of a few monkeys here that would enjoy them as well!

Raimi said...

Sounds like a great Valentine's Day! Grandma's are the best!


Raimi

Raimi said...

Sounds like a great Valentine's Day! Grandma's are the best!


Raimi

Lisa said...

Happy Valentines day to you too!
I love those bags, I usually use them on my neck or back. You can even add scents to them and when you warm them up they smell nice. I bet you are enjoying your mom.

Laundry said...

awe.... your boys are so CUTE!!!!!

and N... middle school is not cool like the elementry kids.. but in highschool you can buy roses for people and the student body officers (SBO) hand them out to everyone. So the fun isn't over yet.

JanEtta said...

Rice bags are great! I keep mine at work so everyone can use it. I'm glad your boys had fun with Valentine's. I do feel sorry for N not getting to celebrate like the younger ones.

Stephanie said...

Julianne,

We used flannel and you can make the any size you want. I'd suggest filling it about 1/2 to 2/3 full of rice. We did a straigh-stitch and then zig-zagged the edges before turning it right-side-out. My mom says that many women in her ward in Utah make small ones that they heat up for their kids to put in their pockets while they walk to school in the snow. My boys ALL had them in their beds with them last night. It kept T in bed!!