Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Walk Thru California History Lesson


Prospector B


Yesterday, B's class participated in the "Walk Through California" at school. It's basically a living history lesson for the 4th graders at the school. I knew this event was coming up and had asked B a few times if he had to prepare anything for it. I just got a shrug here and there. Well, the night before the event during dinner, B says matter-of-factly, "Oh, I need a costume for tomorrow." I just dropped my fork and was speechless. We started to quickly brainstorm about things we could pull together last minute. G remembered that he had his grandfather's denim Osh-Kosh suspenders he could use. We also dug out a thermal top and tied a bandana around his neck. We only thought of having him hold on to a pie tin (gold pan) after he'd already gone to school. He was grateful that a costume was pulled together for him, especially after we kindly reminded him that he needs to let us know about these things A LOT sooner. He had a good experience with the living history lesson. He did say, however, that probably about half of the students did not have a costume. That actually surprised me a little.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

He looks great!! I would never have known you had minutes to put it together. Don't you just love kids, "Oh, boy the way..."

Nadine said...

CE did the same with me last year in 5th grade. The night before at like 10:00, "Oh mom, I need a costume for our wax museum" All the 5th graders dressed as someone in American History and had a poster made prior with details. I can't remember who he was --some trapper. We hurried and got something together. It was cool, the desk were put around the edge of the classrooms and the students stood on top frozen like wax figures as the other grades and parents filed through all the 5th grade classrooms. It was a good thing he had a costume---would have been nice to have prior notice though!