Thursday, October 2, 2008

Their Lucky Day ... Not So Much Mine ...

Our boys were surprised with cherry pie for dessert the other night. Why? Glad you asked. When I went out to my freezer to grab some chicken for dinner, I discovered that the freezer had not been shut properly the last time (whenever that was!!). Boxes were wet, water was dripping, and I about screamed! I had to toss all of the ice cream and ice cream novelties right away. I had to shut it, properly I might add, and walk away to calm myself down. And I still had to get dinner started. We figure that it had been opened at least 24 hours! We did lose some more meat and decided to cook some of it for our next few dinners. It took almost 24 hours to get to the proper temperature again. This time, we turned on the alarm -- which will sound if the temperature gets too high. Wish we'd done that the first time!!! Has this happened to you? At least this freezer, which we bought about a year ago, is a frost-free freezer. Our last one wasn't and when (notice I didn't say if) this happened a few times, there'd be about 6+ inches of frost everywhere. One time, this happened soon after we really stocked up on meat. We lost everything in there. But, hey, my boys were happy to get pie!! I'm always trying to look for the 'silver-lining' in situations like this.

5 comments:

Allison said...

Ugh! How frustrating! I have come into my kitchen to find my refridgerator open and both boys in the living room enjoying a snack or drink totally oblivious to the fact that they need to close the fridge when they are done. Hm. Well, your boys sure look happy with their pie.

Laurie, the girls and Scott said...

Ooh. That happened here once too. I was sad that we didn't have any pie. Enjoy those meats!

Laundry said...

haha. I'm sorry. Our freezer needs a bungie cord on the door that's hooked to the wall to keep it closed. The cord broke though. So now we need another one... :( oh well.

Amy said...

Bummer. You were good to just walk away before getting mad. I'm glad you didn't lose too much! We had that happen about a year ago, so frustrating!

JanEtta said...

Our freezer is left open more often than I'd like to admit. One reason we no longer stock up on icecream. We used to use our alarm, but being in the garage, we never heard it going off until it was too late anyway.