Sunday, July 20, 2008

Tap Tap, Is this thing on??


I always questioned whether or not my head was screwed on right. Laugh if you will. Sometimes I wondered if I was going crazy at times with forgetting or losing things. I'm usually pretty on top of those things, but I've had my moments. For those of you who know me well, I unfortunately get headaches ... a lot. Some are migraine (wouldn't wish those on ANYONE ... EVER!) some are just ... well ... a headache. So, my neck has really been bothering me to the point that I recently went to my chiropractor. He did an adjustment, but decided he needed an x-ray to really see what was going on. Oh ... he got a good look! My neck is @ 50 mm out of alignment! He said that more than 10 mm is pretty bad. Basically, your ears should be right over your shoulders. He told me that because I have a vertebrae that has been trying to compensate for so long, it's added more bone ... like a little curve at the end (a.k.a. bone spur). Not good. If this is not genetic, the only thing I can think that may have started this are the 2 car accidents I was in when I was a teenager. The first one was when I was 14, and I hit the windshield hard enough to shatter it, but luckily I didn't go through it. (Talk about a headache!! -- That hurt!! My brother had a HUGE, FAT lip and it would make me laugh, which would hurt my head!) Then, when I was 16, I was rear-ended and got really bad whip-lash. Who knows. So, the good news is that he can help me get back into alignment, but it will take time. Our goal is to get me back to at least 10 mm. I'll take it! I'm really hopeful that this will release a lot of tension in my neck and shoulders, which will in effect relieve a lot of my headaches. Trust me ... they're getting old! My boys will tell you the same thing! When J was little, he'd give me "magic kisses" to help my headaches. So sweet.
..... J took the above picture of me while we were waiting for N during swim team. Not bad for a 7 year old! We took a lot of pictures to pass the time. Speaking of J, as I mentioned before, he's come with me to several of my chiropractic appointments and Dr. Scott noticed that J's neck was tilted, and mal-aligned. I set up a separate appointment for him to have a full exam. Just minor stuff with him. Out of all of my boys, he's the one who has had headaches here and there. So hopefully, he'll get the relief he needs, too.

5 comments:

Laundry said...

Sheesh!!! you really are related to my family!! hahahahahaha sorry, had to be said. sorry bout your neck, and all the headaches. Not a good thing. Hope everything works out for you!

Allison said...

Yikes! Not surprised though--remember what Marilee's chiropractor said about her seizures? I'm glad you were able to get it all checked out and hope it all goes well. Keep us posted.

The DM Dad said...

Hope they can finally get your head on straight! :)

Lisa said...

Wow, have the headaches gotten any better yet??
That's just amazing.

Stephanie said...

BTW, YES, my headaches are getting better. It's just amazing for me. It's been well worth the trouble of getting in to see my chiropractor twice a week for the past few weeks. I'm SO thankful!!!!